Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Welcome...

 
...my newest addition to the Halloween head family!  I've been dreaming him up for about a year now after buying a bag of putka pods.  I was just baffled the first time I saw them!  They looked exactly like a pumpkin, but small enough to add to Fall crafts.  I just had to put them on a skeleton's hat...so here we are!  I thought I would also show you step by step how I did it, in case you'd like to create your own! 
 
You'll need:
 
aluminum foil
air dry clay (I like Papercraft)
toothpicks
black felt
scissors
paintbrushes
acrylic paints in black and brown
paper towel
craft glue
putka pods
 
Check out last year's post to see the basic construction of the head.


The skeleton head is very similar to the pumpkin except for the extra clay used for his chin.  Again, I used a toothpick to carve out his teeth and nose and a sharpie cap for the eyes.  Then I began the very simple painting process.


Since he will remain mostly white, I really only painted in his eyes, nose, and outlined his teeth.  I used a small paintbrush for the nose and eyes and a toothpick to drag paint between his teeth.  It looks sloppy I know, but it's all part of his "vintage" charm! 
 
 




















Just like all of the other's in the past, he got a light coat of brown paint mixed with water to make him look old. Since I still wanted him to be mainly white, I quickly wiped off any paint with a paper towel, leaving only a fine layer of brown behind.
 


 
 
I hand sewed a top hat out of felt, glued it on his head, and added the putka pods to the hat! I haven't told the others, but I think he is my favorite!

Followers