Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Sugar Ornaments




As we countdown to Christmas one of the nights was to make an ornament.  I found a really cute post for sugar ornaments here, but to be honest they didn't turn out.  We made them and waited and they just crumbled when we tried to remove them from the cookie cutters.  So I reworked the method and wanted to share with you how we made them today!

What you'll need: 
 
1/2 c sugar
1 T glitter (I used mica snow)
2 t water
cookie cutters
parchment paper
rolling pin
string or ribbon
 
 
1.  Mix the water, glitter, and sugar together in a bowl until it is combines and sticks together when you pinch it with your fingers.
 
 
2.  Dump the mixture onto a piece of parchment paper and begin to press it down until you have a flat surface of the mixture.  I rolled it a bit with a rolling pin at this point to get it really level.
 

3.  Then I picked my favorite Christmas cookie cutters that I just recently found at the thrift store.  An owl, a tree, a reindeer and a mini ice skate and cut them out of the mixture.
 
 
4.  Using a toothpick make a small hole in the top for the ribbon to go through.
 
5.  Move them to somewhere safe to dry overnight.
 
 
 
6.  Once they are dry tie a ribbon or some silver string through the hole. 
Hang on your tree and enjoy!
 
 

Followers