Thursday, September 5, 2013

Mason Jar Hanging Light

Well, if you know me at all, you know I love canning and thus LOVE mason jars!  From pickles and jam to storage and dispensing - I even use them to make corn dogs!  dC made us a new bedroom set, which I'll share next week, and I wanted to add a little something in the realm of new lighting to the room.  Here are the Mason Jar lights that I made!

At first I was just going to sit them on the bedside tables, but the unfiltered light through the glass is almost too much right next to your face.
 

 
 

So I simply hung the lights from the headboard so that they are shining down on each side of the bed.
Perfect for reading!
 
Here's how I made them:
 
I started with my favorite "Mason Star" jars, a $5 light switch cord, and small light bulbs. 
 
Here's the light switch cord - this can basically be used to turn anything into a light!
 
With tin snips I cut a small notch in the lid - just big enough for the cord to fit through when the lid was tightened.
 
 
With an awl and a hammer I punched holes around the top of the lid to let any warm air escape when the light is on.  Don't need any glass shattering!
 

 
 
Then I put the light bulb where I wanted it to be inside the jar and screwed the jar rim in place! 



Can't wait to show you the new headboard and night stands dC made for us!

I'm linking to:

Followers